There was that cute line in Legally Blonde where Luke Wilson says something to Reece Witherspoon about the Day Spa being her character’s ‘Mothership’. I loved that film and had a good giggle at that particular exchange between the seemingly frivolous Elle Woods and her endearingly besotted supervisor.
Anyway, we all know there was nothing frivolous about Elle Woods in Legally Blonde – and there’s nothing frivolous about wanting to take care of your skin and presenting yourself in the way that’s increases your confidence.
We know it’s tough times ladies, money is tight and something’s gotta give. So I thought I’d share with you how I’ve cut back trips to the salon by doing some treatments at home. There’s 3 recipies your can DIY for salon quality results and save yourself a packet in the process.
What I’ve had to do is divide the procedures and treatments that I enjoy into 3 categories.
- Essential Professional
- Essential DIY
Essential Professional Treatments & Procedures
We all have different levels of skill when it comes to DIY beauty treatments and I’ve decided that these are my ‘don’t kid yourself’ procedures.
- Eyebrow Shaping
- Lash Tinting
- Monthly Deep Cleansing Facial
- Nail polish application for special occasions (I’m a big smudger)
Essential DIY Treatments
I can handle these on my own and when it comes to value for money – these are best done at home.
- Weekly Facial Exfoliation & Mask
- Weekly Body Scrub & Moisturising
- Skin softening Epson Salts Bath
- Mini Manicure & Pedicure (I have a professional do the nail polish if it’s a special occasion)
Request these in advance from your family and friends for Birthdays & Christmas – then you have the added excitement of looking forward to them.
- Half Day Body Scrub, Massage and Facial – should be about $250 – $350 so ask 5 or 6 of your girlfriends to club together on this for your Birthday, they’ll be glad the pressure’s off to choose a gift. Or perhaps all pick a day that suits you and celebrate everyone’s Birthday at once.
- Full Day of ‘The Works’ – This is best requested from husbands and generous boyfriends for Valentines Day and Anniversaries. A word of warning with this package; make sure you do it on a day where you don’t have to go out that evening. I promise you – you won’t want to go anywhere after a full day of pampering.
Skin Softening Detox Bath
1 cup Epsom Salts
5 drops of your favourite Essential Oil (suggestions – lavender to chill, citrus to energise)
Relax in a Hot Bath for 20 minutes – Epsom Salts are made from Magnesium Sulphate and are the perfect ingredient to relax muscles and move toxins along so they can be removed from your body.
Equal parts – Jojoba Oil, Soybean Oil, Sunflow Oil & Almond Oil
Mix together as needed or buy yourself a 200 ml dark glass bottle and combine equal arts of each – must be stored in a cool, dark cupboard. Gently turn upside down a few times before each use.
Sublime Winter Scrub
1/2 cup Raw Sugar
1/2 cup Olive Oil or Sunflower Oil
5 drops of your favourite Essential Oil (suggestions – night: patchouli, day: lime)
For super soft skin – combine all ingredients in a small plastic container and apply in the shower with a face cloth. This scrub is not for your face – raw sugar is waaay to scratchy and will make your face red raw!